The Global Studies project I worked on was on the use of robotics in the medical field. I have studied their use from different angles; development, limitations, economic issues, andfuture implications. I additionally have looked at their design when it comes to pneumatics through a model, and public perception of how they are viewed being as new as a field as they are.
- The idea of mechanical beings can be traced as far baks as Homer's Iliad
- The first written link between the investigation of robotics and anatomy can be attributed to Leonardo DaVinci's plans for a humanoid robot
- The first major development for robotic limbs was called the Rancho Arm
- The development of robotic orthoses have allowed patients to recover from problem that were previously though to be unrecoverable
- The cost of robotic surgery supersedes that of traditional surgery
- The cost of robotic prosthetics and orthotics cost far more than the average person can afford
- The demand for robotic medicinal tools has risen dramatically in the APAC region, especially in Japan and China
Product #1: Model Arm
While I was researching my project, I happened on a program about the future of medical fields. In that program, we were sent parts to create a model hydraulic arm. The arm works through fluid pressure, where four syringes are connected to other syringes with long plastic straws. By pressing on a controller syringe, the syringe which is attached to the arm moves the machine. The time undertaken for creating the model arm was about 4 days. The reason for which I decided on building a functioning wooden hydraulic arm is to highlight how pneumatics work in robotic medical devices.
Product #2: Spark Page
During my research on medical robots, I naturally searched and looked at different robotic surgical system. I thought that it would be a good idea to show some of those systems visually and give a brief overlook of them. As such, I made a Spark Page to display them.